Monday, June 7, 2021

Making my cicada quilt, Cicadence, step by step

 


Cicadence, 2020, 24 x 24 inches

Here’s what I started with:  packet with fat quarter of this fabric, and a sheet inside with the rules.  Rules: must use recognizable amount of challenge fabric, no bigger than 24 x 24, and must have a wing in it somewhere.  The challenge was supposed to be for 2020, but we know how that went.  I had already started it, so I kept going, and hid the finished quilt for almost an entire year.  Since it was made in 2020, I had no idea about Brood X hatching this year, and what a timely topic it would be.  And this one is quieter!  No weird fungus, either, lol.

challenge.jpg



So, I started by enlarging a drawing of a cicada to the proper size, selecting fabrics, and making them fit on my drawing.  All the cotton fabrics are Kaffe Fasset Collective fabrics.  Eyes are a metallic knit, leftover from making danceline skirts.  Tried several different colors of iridescent organza for the wings.​

progress1.jpg

progress2.jpg

​Next, I found fabric for the parts of the legs, and cut those out, front and back, for each leg.
progress3.jpg



​Selected the organza for the wings, cut it down to a good size, and drew the wing lines on Solvy, which is a transparent water-soluble stabilizer.

progress4.jpg
Hooped the organza between the Solvy with the lines drawn on, and another piece.  Hooping on a machine is done so the fabric is flat against the machine bed, the opposite of hand embroidery.  Sewed over all the lines with 12 weight thread, so they would be more easily seen.  Soaked the finished wings in water to remove Solvy (rubbing gently with a washcloth helps).  Ran a line of fray check around the edge stitching after the wings had dried.

Attached all the pieces to the body, appliqued them with blanket stitch, then free motion quilted the head and body.

Turned the ends of six long floral wires using jewelry pliers so they would not poke through the fabric, and inserted them in each leg section, adding polyfil stuffing as I went along, and pinning together.  Antennae are wire wrapped with fabric and held on with glue.  Wavy wire is so I could sew it down and it would stay in place.

progress5.jpg



​Another view of leg assembly and stitching on the wings. I added a facing to the body, and left spaces to insert legs and antennae, which are stitched down inside the facing.  The wire legs are bent to form a T shape inside the facing, so that they can’t twist around or flop forward.

progress6.jpg
​Hung it up to figure out where cicada needed to be tacked to the window screen.

quiltingdetail1.jpg

quilting detail
quiltingdetail2.jpg
quilting detail
quiltingdetail3.jpg
quilting detail
quilteroos.jpg
Got a generous gift certificate for placing, and a cute ribbon!

Cicadencedet1.jpg
detail of finished piece​
Cicadencedet2.jpg
detail of finished piece​
Cicadencedet3.jpg
detail of finished piece

​Next year’s fabric is also Kaffe, so stay tuned.  It’s due June 1, 2022, and I have ideas already.  Stay tuned!

Sunday, June 6, 2021

2020 Roundup




 In My Mind's Eye, 20 x 20 inches



Woven Rainbow (pieced in 2019, quilted in 2020). 60 x 60 inches


What's Your Excuse?  33 x 37 inches




Rainbow Leaves (SAQA Benefit Auction donation) 12 x 12 inches



Cicadence 24 x 24 inches



The Very Grungy Caterpillar, 32 x 46 inches



Baby Quilt 30 x 41 inches



Saturday, December 28, 2019

My Best of 2019

2019 was pretty busy!

Cents and Sensibility was accepted to Alexandria Museum of Art exhibit, Concrete and Adrift: On the Poverty Line.

Back Yard Beauty went to Mid-Alantic Quilt Festival in Pennsylvania.

Lichen hung at Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center in Baton Rouge.



Too Raw (Too Soon Every Day to Talk About Gun Violence) was accepted to the Tom Peyton Arts Festival, and Alexandria Museum of Art September Competition, AND was awarded the purchase prize at the latter.
Feathers, Scales and Tails: Night Flight went to Quilteroo's in Ruston, La., and Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center.



Fatsia Fantasy, Into the Woods, and Leaf Party went to the Main Library and State Archive, both in Baton Rouge.

Her Eyes as Clear as Centuries went to Sacred Threads.

 Rhumba went to the Gallery One Ellleven Annual Competition Show and won a merit award (and will be in Curated Quilts in early 2020).


L'Homme Vert du Cyprie're and The Woods Are Lovely, Dark and Deep hung at Louisiana State Arboretum in August.
Shuffle sold at the SAQA auction.

Thoughts and Prayers was accepted to Collective (In)Action exhibit at Memorial Union Gallery, NDSU


Took a class in June with Wen Redmond, about digital printing on unusual substrates, and used my new knowledge to participate in SAQA's 100 day project.



These three quilts came home after a three year tour all over the US (and Birmingham, England) as part of Fly Me To The Moon By the Light of the Silvery Moon, Moonlight Serenade, and Moonlight Sonata.


A Suitable Boy toured libraries throughout the state all year, as part of a Contemporary Fiber Artists of Louisiana books exhibit.


 Naiad and Dryad hung at the Ascension Parish Library, Dutchtown, for the month of December, as part od  SAQA regional exhibit.






I also made two quilts, a doll, and a smocked romper for my granddaughter.  I've already got plans for 2020!

grab button for Meadow Mist Designs